Historic Pantoja Plaza
Plaza, (bounded by Columbia, India, F and G streets), is the city's oldest
park. Created in 1850 and named after the Spanish explorer,
Don Juan Pantoja y Arriaga,
who first surveyed & charted San Diego Bay in 1782, it is a rare pocket of
quiet greenery amid all the bustle of downtown redevelopment.
Don Juan Pantoja y Arriaga was pilot, and Don José Továr was mate of the royal frigates La Princesa and La Favorita under command of Don Augustín de Echeverria.